Serious Games Database
We use a semantic wiki format to experiment with a serious gaming database.
You can browse the database through the predefined listings below, or search the database through the
You can contribute by
- copy the Game Template
- Creating a game page; type the page name in the search field and hit Go
- paste the template
- fill it
Links to online databases
For the initial setup of the SeGaDatabase we consulted a number of online databases
Courtesy of Linked in Serious Games Research
- http://www.healthgamesresearch.org/db; Health games.
- http://www.sciencegamecenter.org/ ; Science games.
- http://www.mathchimp.com/; Math games organized by grades + curriculum.
- http://gamesandimpact.org; Research center at Arizona State. Has a database of games (both serious and entertainment) plus guides for parents/students/teachers on how to use them for learning.
- http://www.seriousgamesdirectory.com/ ; Games for health, education, military, corporation, social good.
- http://www.commonsensemedia.org/; Educational games reviews.
- http://www.gamingthepast.net; Jeremiah McCall’s website on history and current events games.
- http://g4li.org/ ; Games 4 Learning institute, has a small database with a few math games.
- http://www.gamesforchange.com; Polished serious games of all sorts.
- http://healthcaregames.wisc.edu/index.php ; University of Wisconsin database on health games.
- http://beta.playforce.org/; Institute of Play games database.
- http://www.playfullearning.com/ ; Learning Games Network database.
- http://playinghistory.org/ ; History games database.
- http://www.clarkchart.com/ ; Clark Aldrich's database
- http://www.gameclassification.com/EN/; 38500 games classified and counting
- http://gamesined.wikispaces.com/Game+Creation+Tools; Games in education list
- http://www.tesolgames.com/game-research-organizations/; Ted Vercoe's list
- http://gamesineducation.org/; education resources and games
- http://portmantoo.nl/overzichtsites-van-educatieve-games/; List of education games maintained by Heleen Groenendijk
- http://edugamelab.hosting.his.se/sgdb/ Edugamelab searchable database of categorised games in education
- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ExtraCreditsEDU#curation ; the ExtraCredits team is composed of gamers that analyse and reflect on games very intelligently.
- http://docubase.mit.edu/playlist/documentary-games/ ; a terrific list from the MIT Game Lab.
- https://www.graphite.org/top-picks#/top-picks ; Graphite/Common Sense Media have a huge games-for-learning database but most of their reviewers seem to not be gamers, so I get the sense that they don't review the games very deeply
- http://www.totemlearning.com/totemspoll/top-ten-serious-games-in-politics ; Good list , although I don't recognize some of the games.
- http://gamesandimpact.org/games/ ; Another good database, with guides on how to increase learning for each game.
Browse by property
|Audience||Age cohort of players|
|Cite||Reference to other material|
|Costs||Estimate of development cost|
|Gameform||The form of the game e.g., Console, ARG, SitGame|
|Gameplay||The game play, action etc.|
|Gametype||Type of game, single, multi, or massive|
|Goal||One liner to the objective of the game|
|Icon||URL to an impression|
|Learning||Reflects the learning principles of a game|
|Observation||Reflects the mechanism that measure achievement of the goal|
|Persuasion||Reflects the mechanisms to persuade players.|
|Platform||The hardware platform|
|Players||Rough estimated of the number of players|
|Publisher||The publisher or producer of a game|
|Released||The release year of a game|
|Source||Reference to source|
|Topic||Keyword for the objective|
|Trailer||URL to a show reel of the game|
|Website||URL to the launching website|
|Americas Army||One liner to the objective of the game|
|Beste Ei||2013||Give insight into logistics process|
|Darfur is Dying||One liner to the objective of the game|
|Kinetic City||One liner to the objective of the game|
|Re-Mission||2006||engage young cancer patients|